There are currently dozens of compilations of evidences for the theory that Rey is the daughter of Luke Skywalker and an unknown mother. Nevertheless i wanted to give it a try too. There are a lot of strong hints, that the new Hero of the Star Wars-Saga is the next Generation in the Bloodline of the Skywalker-Family. And these are quite convincing and hard to overlook.
- She has been raised/lived on a Desert Planet like Anakin and Luke.
- She’s exceptional force-sensitive like Anakin and Luke.
- The helmet she puts on on Jakku, whose helmet do you think is? From where she got it might going to be revealed.
- From all the many people who are near it(in a bar!), why would the Lightsaber call especially her und show here visions of the Skywalker-Family, when she’s not the same blood as the previous users?
- Mal Kanata kinda „reveals“ her heritage to her by telling immediately when offering her the lightsaber: „I have lived long enough to see the same eyes in different people. I see your eyes... I know your eyes! “.
- Han and Leia quickly seem to trust her. Even though they don’t know who she is they seem quite familiar with her. Like they somehow know, that she belongs to them. The reason why they don’t recognize her could be that they believe that she’s dead. Killed alongside with Luke’s other students?
- When Kylo Ren tries to get in Rey’s Head, they see pictures of the planet where Luke is hiding. That would further the connection between Luke and Rey.
- The novelization features even more hints. Hints like that Kylo is very curious about who exactly Rey is because he senses that she’s someone special. And during the end fight when Rey is holding the lightsaber, Kylo states that he finally knows who she is!
- Seeing how Rey picks up the lightsaber from the snow with the force and hearing the theme music speaks for itself.
- For years R2 has been on low power-mode, but then powers up when Rey shows up in the resistance base.
- It’s not unlikely, that Leia can feel or maybe knows through the force that Rey is a Skywalker. Which would explain why - from all of the soldiers she commands - she sends Rey to pick up Luke. Because she want’s her to meet her father?
- Luke seems a bit surprised when he sees Rey.
- Off-Film: The film-saga is in principle the story of the Skywalker-Family. Each trilogy for each generation. Bringing up a new main character that does NOT belong the the bloodline wouldn’t make sense.
The only thing, that almost refutes the Rey Skywalker-Theory is:
If Rey is Luke’s daughter, why doesn’t she remember him as her father, or even thinks about him as a myth? She was very young when she was left on Jakku, but not that young that she couldn’t remember her parents.
But even for that, there are possible explanations. The one which is more likely for me is:
Rey memories have been manipulated with the force.
That she was still calling after her parents when they left says, that she still remembered them at the time. So she must have been mind-wiped afterwards. But who could have done it if not her parents? If i’d guess, i’d pick Max von Sydow’s character Lor San Tekka, who is very familiar with the force because he’s an explorer and member of the church of the force.
I think he is also that what Obi-Wan was for Luke on Tatooine, by watching over Rey during the years she lived on Jakku, on behalf of Rey’s parents(which would just another proof of many, that TFA is actually a remake of A New Hope). It would also explain, why he’s in the possession of the missing piece of the map that contains the locations of Luke.
I know, we’ve never seen a manipulation of a person through the force in an amount like this before. But it doesn’t mean that it’s not possible. I mean, it’s not really a big step from getting into people’s head like Kylo Ren did it in the very same film more the once and Obi-Wan’s "these are not the droids you are looking for" trick. It’s actually just a combination of these both abilities. So it’s not really unlikely.
There is even a chance, that this theory can be more explored or explained. Because it already has been confirmed, that Max von Sydow’s character will return in Episode 8.
This film kinda yells it in the faces of the audience, the Rey is a Skywalker. If you believe this, of course even more questions come up. Like, who is Rey mother? Even regarding this, there are various ideas about it. The one i dig the most is, that it could be the character which is played by Felicity Jones in the Rogue One-SpinOff(she has red hair. Hint to Mara Jade?) But nevertheless we’ll find out the truth on May 26, 2017.
And personally, i think it would be good for the sake of the character of Luke Skywalker if this theory would be true. Because in the classic trilogy, we all saw that Leia and Han had each other, but Luke was always a kind of a lone wolf who had to fight with the burden of being the last of the Jedi. So the Luke-Fans would like it to see confirmed that after ROTJ he found someone special he could love. An let’s face it: we all would love it to see the most important hero of the saga in the role of a caring and protective father.
So, that’s all i have to about to this. Please comment and let me know what you think about it. May the force b with y’all!